Three Years Slinging Beers on 13th Street
By Joe Pye
Tomorrow, Gulf Stream Brewing Company on 13th Street in Fort Lauderdale will celebrate its three-year anniversary.
On St. Patrick’s Day 2020, McKay Ferrell and his wife Jasmine were working the bar at their brewery. They were following the news of a global pandemic in fear that any minute their business may be shut down by the government. The next day, Governor Ron Desantis announced all breweries in Florida must close for 30 days. That turned into nearly seven months.
“We were already masked up and cleaning – the bar was dead,” Ferrell, Gulf Stream Brewing Company’s co-founder and operating partner, told Broward Beer. “Then the next day we had to close down. From that day on it felt like we took a year off.”
On Saturday, Sept. 25, starting at noon, the brewery and pizzeria located at 1105 NE 13th St, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33304 will throw a 12-hour anniversary bash that’s free to attend.
It may be the three-year anniversary, but to Ferrell still feels like it’s only been two years due to the pandemic.
In this video, Ferrell tells his story of brewing beer in Portland, Oregon and eventually making his way down to Fort Lauderdale to open Gulf Stream Brewing Company on 13th Street…
Here are a few things you can expect from Gulf Stream’s anniversary this year…
Anniversary beer releases
- Toasted Coconut Coffee Porter: 6.5% ABV porter offers a toasty, sweet aroma followed by a taste of chocolate and rich coffee. It was crafted with a cold brew made by in-house Pizzeria Magaddino.
- Strawberry Foeder Forever: 6.4% ABV Foeder-aged beer returns with added locally sourced strawberries. Ferrell says the strawberries “add a subtle sweet balance to this tart wild ale.”
- Three Tree Island: 6% ABV fruited sour with passionfruit, guava, and orange.
- Light Burst, Pomegranate Lemon Hard Seltzer: 6% ABV hard seltzer crafted with pomegranates and lemons.
- Lemonade Shandy: 3.2% ABV Gulf Stream’s light lager combined with fresh lemonade.
Music, Taco Bellus, and more
DJ GQ from Y100 will be onsite with live music from 5 to 9 p.m. Laser Wolf’s Taco Bellus food truck will be out front serving up its Tex Mex-inspired menu from 4 to 9 p.m. Gulf Stream’s in-house pizzeria, Pizzeria Magaddino will serve special anniversary pies.