5 Places to Celebrate Valentine’s Day With Beer
By Joe Pye
This year: Comedy, cocktails at a craft beer bar, and a whole lot of sweets. Check out these fun and cheap events.
The average American plans to spend $30 less on Valentine’s Day than last year. That still comes out to $165. Beer-loving couples can further cut those costs by at least a third.
Broward Beer found five events at breweries and craft beer bars to celebrate with that special someone for at most $50. Each involves other businesses and artists from the local South Florida area.
Here’s what the owners and managers of each location say you can expect…
1. Valentine’s Day-themed comedy show
- What: “Galentine’s Standup Comedy Show” with an all-women cast.
- Where: Pompano Beach Brewing Company, 3200 NW 23rd Ave #500, Pompano Beach, FL 33069
- When: Saturday, Feb. 13, at 8 p.m.
- How much it costs: Free
- Why go: It’s a free Valentine’s Day-themed set. Good for couples who’d rather celebrate with the next day off of work.
2. For the Love of Mixology
- What: Cocktail Uncultured, local mixology instructors, will teach guests to make drinks that pair with Fat Tap’s menu.
- Where: Fat Tap Beer Bar, 830 E Oakland Park Blvd STE 101, Oakland Park, FL 33334
- When: Sunday, Feb. 14, from 6 to 8 p.m.
- How much it costs: $50
- Why go: “Aside from a class on how to make cocktails, our chef also paired small dishes to pair with the drinks,” said Rob Robayna, co-owner of Fat Tap Beer Bar and Eatery. “It’s an interactive experience.” Tickets available here.
3. Cheesecake and beer pairing
- What: V’s Cakes artisan cheesecake will supply the cake to go with LauderAle’s brews.
- Where: LauderAle, 3305 SE 14th Ave, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316
- When: Sunday, Feb. 14, from 12 to 4 p.m.
- How much it costs: $20
- Why go: “V’s Cakes has heart in her craft and it resembles the way we feel about our brewery,” Miranda Fuller, LauderAle’s taproom manager told BrowardBeer. LauderAle’s C Porter was even added to the chocolate coffee porter cheesecake. Tickets available here.
4. Ice cream and beer pairing
- What: Sweet Melody Crafted Ice Cream will supply the desserts and Gulfstream is brewing beers to pair.
- Where: Gulfstream Brewing Co. 1105 NE 13th St, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33304
- When: Sunday, Feb. 14, from 7 to 9 p.m.
- How much it costs: $32
- Why go: Get four scoops of locally crafted ice cream to go with four 5-ounce pours of Gulfstream’s paired beers. Tickets are available here.
5. Tipsy Valentine
- What: Susan’s Sweet Treats will supply the cake to match Black Flamingo’s beers
- Where: Black Flamingo Brewing, 3260 NW 23rd Ave, Pompano Beach, FL 33069
- When: Sunday, Feb. 14, from 2 p.m.
- How much it costs: $20
- Why go: Get four different cupcakes that pair with a flight of four different 5-ounce pours.