10 Breweries Where You can Celebrate Oktoberfest – a lot More than the Sun Sentinel’s Two
By Joe Pye
Oktoberfest in Munich, Germany was canceled… blah, blah, blah. We’ve heard it for two years now. You can celebrate Oktoberfest here in South Florida!
The Sun Sentinel recently published Oktoberfest events around the area. But only listed two large breweries located four miles apart from each other: Khoffner at Sistrunk Marketplace and Funky Buddha. We’ll include those, too, but there are far more breweries celebrating the annual autumn beer festival.
Below is a breakdown of everything we could find scouring social media. If we left something out, please comment or drop a line to firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll make updates and reshare this article…
- What: Oktoberfest-ish celebration
- Where: 7235 NE 4th Ave, Miami, FL 33138
- When: Saturday, Oct. 2, at 4 p.m.
- How much: Free entrance. RSVP here and enter a chance to win $30 off your bar tab.
- What’s different: Focal is releasing a new Dunkel beer and will have guest taps from Black Flamingo Brewing, Beat Culture, and Epoca Brewing. There will be several DJs performing throughout the day. There won’t be German-themed decorations or games.
Fat Tap Beer Bar and Eatery
- What: Fatoberfest
- Where: 3555 N Dixie Hwy, Oakland Park, FL 33334
- When: Saturday, Oct. 2, at 1 p.m.
- How much: Free
- What’s different: Pretzel specials and bratwurst. From 1 to 5 p.m. beer pours will be $5. There will be a chugging contest with prizes to win. Lederhosen and dirndls are encouraged.
3 Sons Brewing Company
- What: Week-long specially-made German-inspired food and beer, including guest taps from Green Bench Brewing Company in St. Petersburgh.
- Where: 236 N Federal Hwy #104, Dania Beach, FL 33004
- When: Saturday, Sept. 17 – Friday, Oct. 1.
- How much: $25 for a full combo: a brat sandwich with German potato salad, and Oktoberfest liter stein with either fest beer or “Ocean Park” pilsner. More information is available here.
- What’s different: You can mix and match your food and beer choices. If you can’t make it one day, simply come by another.
- What: Second-annual “Stein and Dine” dinner
- Where: 3305 SE 14th Ave, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316
- When: Friday, Oct. 8, from 7 to 9 p.m.
- How much: $80, tickets are available here.
- What’s different: Authentic four-course German meal prepared by Mike Smerda, a German chef who’s been featured on Diner’s Drive-ins and Dives. All dishes are designed around specially crafted beers. There will be a stein holding contest with a chance to win a $50 LauderAle gift card.
Mathews Brewing Company
- What: Two-day party
- Where: 130 S H St, Lake Worth, FL 33460
- When: Friday, Oct. 8 through Saturday, Oct. 9
- How much: Free
- What’s different: Cheap German beer without the traditional experience. Hefewizen and German pilsners will be discounted to $5.50 a pint. On Friday, from 5 to 11 p.m., Silverspork Food Truck will be onsite, and local “country rock, dance band,” 56 Ace Band will perform from 8 to 11:30 p.m. Silverspork Food Truck will return the following day from 2 to 11 p.m. West Palm-based rock group Fall Victim will perform from 7:30 to 8 p.m. Then Tool tribute band 46 & Tool will take the stage from 9 to 11 p.m.
Black Flamingo Brewing Company
- What: Flocktoberfest all-day party
- Where: 3260 NW 23rd Ave #400e, Pompano Beach, FL 33069
- When: Sunday, Oct. 10, from noon to 8 p.m.
- How much: free
- What’s different: Black Flamingo’s first-ever Oktoberfest-themed party. The Pompano brewery’s touting “new beer drops, delicious food, vendors, and tap beer guests.” Lederhosen and Dirndls are encouraged.
- What: Hoptoberfest at Hopportunities in Delray Beach
- Where: 440 NE 5th Ave, Delray Beach, FL 33483
- When: Saturday, Oct. 2, at 3 p.m.
- How much: Free
- What’s different: The pour-your-own beer bar will have specials on “local and traditional festbiers.” The Hopportunities Kitchen food truck Lola’s Filipino-American Flare will “be going to her German roots and doing a ‘Bratoberfest'” with specials on Bratwurst all day long. “Game of Axes,” a free ax-throwing vendor will be on-site at 3 p.m. There will be a Lederhosen, or German attire costume contest.
- What: Oktoberfest pub crawl of four Boca breweries and one bar
- Where: Meet up at Prosperity Brewers – 4160 NW 1st Ave Suite 21, Boca Raton, FL 33431 – then hit the other spots.
- When: Saturday, Oct. 16 at 1 p.m.
- How much: $6 to $20
- What’s different: Oktoberfest-themed. What’s really different is it’s a cheap way to hit multiple locations. Each are in driving distance but Uber and carpooling are recommended. SFL Hops has a free ride from Uber provided here. For $6, you get BOGO beers at every brewery and bar on the crawl. It’s a unique way to meet other local craft beer drinkers. The last SFL Hops pub crawl in Oakland Park brought out at least 50 people. For $20, you’ll receive an SFL Hops rewards card, which is 40 percent less than it normally goes for. The card gets you discounts at more than 60 breweries and bars in South Florida.
Khoffner Brewery USA
- What: Two-week long celebration
- Where: 115 NW 6th St, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33311
- When: Wednesday, Sept. 22 through Sunday, Oct. 10
- How much: $20 for a “blind beer tasting on Sat. Sept. 25., and again on Oct. 2 and Oct. 9. Tickets are available here.
- What’s different: The blind beer tasting on Saturday includes five flights of beer. Those who correctly guess three out of five of the beers win a free beer. Khoffner brewed a Märzen lager and a pale Oktoberfest. There will be Bavarian pretzels, schnitzel, apple strudel, and other traditional German fare served in the Sistrunk Marketplace food hall.
- What: Annual Funktoberfest
- Where: 1201 NE 38th St, Oakland Park, FL 33334
- When: Monday, Sept. 20 through Friday, Oct. 24
- How much: Free
- What’s different: German food and beer specials. Not much different from a few others previously mentioned, to be honest. Refillable 32-ounce beer steins are $15, can refill for $10. The kitchen is selling pretzels for $5 and brats for $8. The Constellation-owned Oakland Park brewery made a “Buddhafest” Märzen lager.
For more information and regular updates, follow BrowardBeer’s event calendar.